Neuer Erfarhungsbericht zur Prüfung

• Neuer Erfarhungsbericht zur Prüfung

Vor kurzem erreichte mich die folgende Mail:

Hallo Roland,

wie versprochen findest Du anbei eine Kopie meines LBA Prüfungsfeedbacks welches ich auf Intercockpits e-campus geschrieben habe.
    Es freut mich wenn es vielleicht den einen oder anderen hilft.

VG

Pablo

Darmstadt, 20. June 2009

Hi,

I’ve just performed LBA and would like to share some feedback and news with all of you. Might be helpful for the one or the other…

Due to my commitment as lone father of a 10-years old boy I only had about 50% of the “normal” time to learn during the last 3 weeks before the exam.

So I decided to adapt my strategy to MY reality and focus on 9 subjects and prepare them properly, rather to try all 12 and fail half of them.
    I therefore dropped 3 subjects, that I hadn’t review for 3 or more months.

That reduced the workload and allowed me to secure 9 out of 12.
    In the meanwhile I’ve got the results and I’ve passed all the 9 subjects I have performed.

So my feedback concerns those 9 subjects only, which I would like to address in the same order as written in my exam.

1st day:

1. Instruments: 60-65 % Exam questions, the rest was new. Get yourself ready on: Gyros, FMS, Autopilot, GPWS, stickshaker and standard questions on Altimeter, Machmeter/ASI, etc.

a. read Bristol
    b. run ATPonline (better than exam on this subject)
    c. run Exam as well

2. Aerodynamic: there was a certain Exam “rate”, of eventually 40-50 %, however based on the LBA question pool I got, it wouldn’t have been possible to pass the Exam ONLY by learning with Exam. Here you really need to understand the subjects (Props, sub- & supersonic AD, stability (lateral, directional, longitudinal))

a. read Bristol and answer the Bristol course questions!
    b. run ATPonline, is definitely better than Exam for POF
    c. of course, run Exam as well
    d. as a further summarizing literature you can use the
    Pilot’s Reference Guide

3. Performance: about 15-20% new questions (no kidding!), otherwise 80-85 % Exam.
    You have to know all speeds (VMC, VMCG, VEF, V1, VR, VMU, VLOF, V2, and their relationship, all t/o segments, climb, descent (a bit trigonometry to calculate Thrust/Drag/Weight relationships), etc.

a. Exam
    b. ATP online is also good here, eventually even better than Exam.
    c. you can also read Bristol of course, though
    b. I found Jeppesen on Performance really helpful even better than Bristol on this particular subject (despite some mistakes in certain graphs…)
    c. And then as a summary literature: the Pilot’s Reference Guide.

4. HPL: 85 % Exam, the rest new questions

a. Read Carsten Schmidt’s notes
    b. Click Exam
    That should be enough (so far…)

c. Personally, I also read Bristol on HPL and I google here a lot of
    single subjects (eyes, ears/NIHL, sleep phases, Wickens, Hollnagel, Maslow, and I do even have some books from these authors, but only because I have a personal interest in psychology, resilience engineering and joint cognitive systems.
    You won’t need all that! Just Exam and Carsten’s script is more than enough, at least for the pool of questions I got at the LBA…

2nd & 3rd day:

5. Airlaw: about 30 % new questions. NO KIDDING!! I heard that the first day, from someone who also got the same percentage on new questions and nobody believed him.
    The day after I go in, and got the same feedback.

The LBA is currently updating the Airlaw, Performance and further question pools.
    Some of the old 100 % Exam subjects have been updated recently.
    YOU CAN’T ONLY RELY ON Peter Software’s Exam and expect to pass the LBA exam even in subjects that were 100 % Exam in the past. Those subjects (such as Airlaw, OPS, Performance, GNAV, FPLN and Mass & Balance) do contain at least 10-30 % new questions. Be aware of this! Eventually, you will still get 100 % Exam questions, but there is no longer any guarantee on that!

a. Read Bristol. It is best for Airlaw, with all the graphs and explanations.
    b. You gotta click Exam properly here too, but as stated before: No guarantee!
    c. Memorize here all values on IFR-separation, MNPS, Airspaces and licensing parameters. Study well Arrival, initial, intermediate, final and missed approach parameters. They ask all that.

6. OPS: mostly Exam (85%). CAT I / II / III of course and the Oxygen needs, you need to know Exam well and you should now all values for Fire extinguishers and crash axes as well.
    To read Bristol might not be necessarily, but certainly helpful.

7. Powerplant-ETEC-Airframe: Oh boy, here you better learn!
    No way, you go in for ASP, and you haven’t prepared yourself properly.
    The LBA wanted to know everything, especially ETEC. A lot of questions on this subject as well as on Powerplant.

a. Read Bristol and go through the Bristol course, answer the questions
    especially for ETEC it is really, really good.
    b. Exam, sure yes, but I felt that
    c. ATPonline is better than Exam on this subject
    d. for Powerplant you can revise the summary on the Pilots Reference
    Guide

8. RNAV: was about 90 % Exam.

a. you can read Bristol and of course click Exam on top of it
    b. a lot of questions on Satellite Nav (we know that…)
    but also on Basic RNAV, phantom stations and distances, etc.

9. Mass and Balance: Some new questions. Probably I wouldn’t have passed only with Exam.

a. click Exam of course, but also read Bristol or even better
    b. I felt the Jeppesen book on Mass & Balance was really good to get ready for this exam. If you have access to it, use it!

So far, so good!

In about 4 weeks I shall give you more details on Met, GNAV and FPLN…

In the meanwhile, wish you all best luck and many happy landings!

Best regards.

Pablo Altmann
  • Ich denke, dass es auch eine Menge mit Glück zu tun hat, welche Fragen man bekommt. Es heißt ja nicht, dass nun völlig neue Fragen erfunden wurden. Nun hat der eine mehr neue Fragen als der andere. Ich finde es wichtig, hier darüber zu diskutieren!

Wünschenswert wären Posts mit den unbekannten Fragen aus der Prüfung, die nicht im EXAM sind.

Dazu gibt es ene neue Katagorie im Forum.

Eine Hilfe für alle, denen das "Leid" beim LBA noch bevorsteht!
  • Hallo Zusammen!

Also ich war am 06.07.09-08.07.09 beim LBA.

Schonmal vorab: Habe kein Fach bestanden.

Meine Erfahrungen was neuen Fragen angeht ist ähnlich wie beim Herren aus der intercockpit. Aber nur ähnlich. Ich hatte wohl da mehr Pech was den Fragen angeht. Hatte insgesamt ne höhere anzahl an unbekannten Fragen. Und da ich mich dummerweise nur mit Exam vorbereitet habe und anderen erfahrungsberichten aus bekannten vertraut hab die meinten EXAM würde völlig ausreichen, auch selten in meinen Unterlagen nachgeschaut. Noch dazu kommt der "Prüfungsstress" oder anspannung und zack, hab ichs versiebt.

Deshalb Empfehle ich jedem, ein wirklich fundiertes wissen der Fächer haben. Eure Ordner/Unterlagen/Bücher wirklich verstehen und können. Clicken allein hilft nicht. Exam und Co. nur zur überprüfung benutzen. Ich selbst, habe mir das Aviator24 zugelegt. Und benutze es wirklich nur um wenn ich mit einen Ordner/Kapitel fertig bin, in diesem Themenbereich mein "Wissensstand" zu überprüfen.

Das mit den Fragen auswendig lernen ist vorbei. Das LBA bemüht sich solche auswendig lerner auszusortieren. Sie ändern den Wortlaut von Fragen oder eben begriffe(Kann mich in MET an Dry bulb und wet Bulb erinnern).

Was ich noch empfehlen kann ist sich wirklich die Zeit nehmen. Wenn man in POF schon in 30 minuten durch ist, dann die restlich 30 min. kontrollieren nochmal die Fragen durchgehen. Kontrollieren wieso die anderen Antworten falsch sind, etc. Euch hetzt niemand!
    Wenn ihr den Tag rum habt und dann ins Hotel geht, erstmal Duschen, was essen, abschalten. Aber nicht zu lang! Dann nochmal die eigenen Notizen durchgehen, gegebenenfalls im Prüfungsmodus mal ein Fach clicken.
    Sich schon im vorab im klaren sein, welche Fächer man an welchen Tag durchclickt. Ich habe mir ein Plan erstellt für die jeweiligen Tagen und die Fächer die ich dann machen wollte. Empfehlenswert sind ähnlichen Fächer zusammen legen an ein Tag wie Airlaw und OPS, oder GNAV und RNAV. Bevor man in den Saal geht, nochmals die wichtigen Formeln durchzugehen(M&B den Tree z.B. oder in MET die Lapse Rates, in der Aufregung kann man solch esentielen sachen vergessen). Einmal im Saal bevor man ein Fach anfängt, die Formeln auf den Grünen Papier aufschreiben so, dass man sie schnell zur Hand hat. Und dann loslegen.

Naja, ich fange mehr oder weniger bei Null an und lern erstmal meine 16 Ordnern zu den Fächern.
    An den Rest, es ist nicht ein Ding der unmöglichkeit. Es haben schon viele Geschafft und man sollte sich wegen ein Stück Papier oder Bildschirms während des Lernen nicht unterkriegen lassen!

Gruß Christian
  • Hallo Chris,
    zunächst muss ich sagen, dass es mir leid tut, dass Du durchgefallen bist. Aber das ist kein Weltuntergang.
    Ich bin mir sicher, wenn Du noch ein paar Kohlen drauflegst, schaffst Du es beim nächsten Mal. Ich sehe das nicht so, dass Du noch einmal von vorne anfängst. Vieles bleibt hängen und man erinnert sich später dran.
    Nur den Mut nicht aufgeben, auch wenn das erstmal ne bittere Pille ist....
    Viel Erfolg in jeden Fall. Die gute Sache ist daran, Du bleibst uns noch ein wenig erhalten hier im Board!